Subject: Re: Sun 3x kernel work to commence
To: None <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/05/1995 19:15:43
> When do you get bus errors?  What's the exact message printed?
> What's an error 139?

I've been getting these with decreasing frequency as I've updated
more and more of the operating system.  The next time I see one,
I'll mail it out.

Basically, the symptom occurs after a lot of compiling.  Particularly
when I was compiling libc, I found that I couldn't run make from
the top-level makefile and expect libc to make.  I had to cd into
lib/libc and then run make.  It's as if there's not enough memory to
run a make within a make when working on such a huge directory.
Doubling swap didn't help, though, so that's not it.

In any event, after the compiler starts dumping core after bus
errors or reporting internal error 139 (I don't know which binary
reports these errors), any future attempts to compile will have
the same result until a reboot.  So basically, I would run make,
let it go until I got this problem, reboot, and run make again.
Eventually, I got all the way through, but it really would be nice
to get this worked out.

I'll be more specific when I next get the error.

- Geoff