Subject: Sun 3x kernel work to commence
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/05/1995 00:50:03
I've now managed to amass both a 3/80 and some RAM to throw in it.
I mentioned previously that when this moment came, I'd like to
start mucking with the kernel internals in an attempt to get NetBSD
to run on it.  And John W. DeBoskey <jwd@unx.sas.com> was
curious if any work had started on it.

I also have a mostly-functional 3/60 NetBSD system, now.  That'll
be useful to bootstrap a new kernel.  (I still get the occasional
bus errors and error 139s when compiling things, but I've been
able to recompile the entire OS after a bit of work.)

I guess I'm about to start work on a sun3x kernel!  I've created a
filesystem to netboot the thing, I have a SunOS sun3x boot program,
and I even have a SunOS sun3x kernel to see what it displays as it
boots.  I've supped ksrc-amiga for clues about different processors
in the 68000 line.  I've got my 68030 books handy...

My main problem now is going to be lack of knowledge about the
internals of the sun3x machines.  What makes them different from
regular sun3 machines, aside from just the processor upgrade?  Is
there any way to get hardware docs out of Sun?

Anyway, I'll report back every once in a while as (if) I make
progress.  Don't hold yer breaths, though.  This'll take a while.

- Geoff