Subject: Re: mbuf weirdness...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@SJ.Xenotropic.COM>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/28/1995 01:00:17
> Such, however, is not the case...I traced it down to the `gotreply:'
> section of krpc_call() (nfs/krpc_subr.c)...an m_pullup call is made, and
> the requested length is greater then MHLEN, causing m_pullup to return
> NIL.  Increasing MSIZE in sun3/param.h from 128 to 256 allows the machine
> to boot, etc., but I don't believe that that is the correct fix...
>
> Anyway, with MSIZE at 128, MHLEN is 100.  The requested len passed to
> m_pullup is 108.  I do not believe that it should be this big.. :-)

I ran into the same problem, over the summer, trying to netboot that
alpha (assuming this is, in fact, the same problem...  8-)

the problem is the the boot RPC code expects that the RPC reply
message can fit entirely in one mbuf.  This is a bogus assumption, and
i think it's XXX'd in the code.

A possible workaround: make the root/swap pathnames shorter.

cgd