Subject: system panics when getty writes to kd
To: None <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/25/1995 11:33:33
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 19:05:14 -0500
> From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>

> GENERIC #169, 170 and 176 all panic on my July '88 Sun3 when they try
> to go multi-user.
>
> The debbugger trace & ps show that it looks like getty was trying to
> write to the keyboard/display.
>
> GENERIC #176 sustains multi-user for hours if you disable the getty on
> the console.
>
> Mar 22 11:34:55 charon /netbsd: NetBSD 1.0A (GENERIC) #170: Thu Mar 16 ...

Could you please try this again with the current one?  (#176: Fri Mar 24)
If it fails, please send the output of the ddb "trace" command.
Lastly, what lines are turned "on" in /etc/ttys and what is your console?

Thanks
Gordon

P.S.

The kd driver works for me on a Sun3/260 both as the console and
with ttya as the console.  Note that if kd is not the console, then
it will produce no output (the PROM fbwrite does not work then)
but the device is good enough to support an xdm in place of getty.