Subject: pmap: removing wired pmeg
To: None <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1995 16:45:14
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 95 15:40:05 -0500
> From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
>
> I have a diskless, monochrome Sun3/60 with 12MB of RAM (circa 7/88) that
> is running the binary release from ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3,
> kernel is GENERIC #169 March 10 1995.
>
> When executables first load I get the message:
>
> pmap: removing wired pmeg <hex_addr>
> and fall into the debugger without a panic.
>
> If I type
>
> db>c
>
> it happens again with a slightly larger <hex_addr>.  If I 'db>c' enough
> the program loads and runs fine.  The next time it loads, if it runs the
> same way (no new page faults) it works without any problems.  In fact I'm
> compiling the tcsh.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions on what to do about it?

This is an advisory message that means there COULD be trouble if
something asks about the mapping that was supposed to be "wired"
(and is about to be nuked).

The pmap module does not currently implement "wired" mappings.
We usually get away with this because we always replace the oldest
mappings when we run out of translation resources, and the only
"wired" mappings currently used are short-lived.

Eventually, we should implement true "wired" mappings.
For now, you can just disable that message.

Gordon