Subject: Problem installing on a 3/260
To: None <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1995 11:10:12
> From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
> Date: 	Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:19:06 -0500

> > I'm trying to install NetBSD/sun3 (as of March 3) on my 3/260.
[ ... it doesn't see the SCSI disk ... ]

> I am having similar wierdnesses with my 3/260.
>
> I have SunOS installed on sd0, a Fujitsu 530 MB.
> NetBSD is installed on sd1, a Quantum 105.

Actually, SCSI target 1 will be sd2.  Here is the table:

Target   Unit   Unix device    PROM device
   0       0    /dev/[r]sd0x    sd(0,0,0)
   0       1    /dev/[r]sd1x    sd(0,1,0)
   1       0    /dev/[r]sd2x    sd(0,8,0)
   1       1    /dev/[r]sd3x    sd(0,9,0)

> SunOS boots and runs just fine.
>
> I cannot boot from the Quantum.  b sd(0,8,0) simply sits there for 10
> seconds, then returns me to the boot monitor.  I have /boot on it,
> and I did installboot.

If you do this:
	b sd(0,8,0) -a
does it prompt you for the kernel name like this:
	boot:
If not, then the PROM is not even loading the boot program,
and none of the NetBSD software is ever getting loaded.
If that's the case, the only real possibilities are:
(1) PROM too old to talk to that disk
(2) installboot didn't work correctly

> If I netboot NetBSD from my boot server (my Amiga 3000), then si0 is found,
> and the Fujitsu drive is found fine, but the Quantum is found at multiple
> LUNs!  Worse, the geometry strings read from the Quantum differ for each
> LUN!  The Quantum drive worked fine under NetBSD/Amiga, and it works fine
> under SunOS.

I'm not sure if it will help, but I've got most of the coding done
for a new SCSI driver based on the aic6360 driver.  It still needs
the initial debugging work and probably lots of tweaks, but I guess
it's far enough along that it might be useful to kernel hackers.
Let me know if you want it.

Gordon