Subject: Problem installing on a 3/260
To: None <ejr@cs.UMD.EDU>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1995 10:30:39
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 00:45:09 -0500
> From: Evan Rosser <ejr@cs.umd.edu>

> I'm trying to install NetBSD/sun3 (as of March 3) on my 3/260.  I've
> installed all of the tar files (running under the Sun miniroot), then
> installed the boot program, done a 'MAKEDEV all', and created an
> /etc/fstab.  When I try to boot NetBSD, it get most of the way through
> the boot process and then hangs for 60 seconds or so, and then panics
> with "cannot mount root":
>
> ..(info deleted)
> si0 at vmes0 addr 0xff200000 level 2 vector 0x40
> scsibus0 at si0                                    <-- LONG PAUSE HERE

Uh oh, no SCSI devices were recognized.  Hmmm....

> vmel0 at mainbus0
> root on sd0a
> swap on sd0b
> dump on sd0b
> panic: cannot mount root
> Stopped at    _Debugger+0x6   unlk    a6
> db>

> It is possible that my /etc/fstab is bad, [...]
That is not yet relevant at this point in the boot process.

> Does anyone have any hints?
> In case it's useful, here's a description of the machine:
> 3/260, 8M, cgthree, SCSI controller, 1/4" tape, 324MB Maxtor 7345S.

The SCSI driver is having trouble talking to your disk.
I had similar troubles at one point, where the SCSI controller
would act like there is nothing on the SCSI bus.  My attempts
to reproduce it caused the problem not to reappear ever again.
(Grumble!)

There are some debugging flags in the si driver you can turn on
to get a better idea what is really happening.  Try this:

> b sd()netbsd -ds
db> w si_debug 1
db> c

Then carefully record any messages, especially from si_select.

Gordon