Subject: Re: Problem installing on a 3/260
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1995 10:19:06
> I'm trying to install NetBSD/sun3 (as of March 3) on my 3/260.  I've
> installed all of the tar files (running under the Sun miniroot), then
> installed the boot program, done a 'MAKEDEV all', and created an
> /etc/fstab.  When I try to boot NetBSD, it get most of the way through
> the boot process and then hangs for 60 seconds or so, and then panics
> with "cannot mount root":
>
> ..(info deleted)
> si0 at vmes0 addr 0xff200000 level 2 vector 0x40
> scsibus0 at si0                                    <-- LONG PAUSE HERE
> vmel0 at mainbus0
> root on sd0a
> swap on sd0b
> dump on sd0b
> panic: cannot mount root
> Stopped at    _Debugger+0x6   unlk    a6
> db>

I am having similar wierdnesses with my 3/260.

I have SunOS installed on sd0, a Fujitsu 530 MB.
NetBSD is installed on sd1, a Quantum 105.

SunOS boots and runs just fine.

I cannot boot from the Quantum.  b sd(0,8,0) simply sits there for 10 seconds,
then returns me to the boot monitor.  I have /boot on it, and I did
installboot.

If I netboot NetBSD from my boot server (my Amiga 3000), then si0 is found,
and the Fujitsu drive is found fine, but the Quantum is found at multiple
LUNs!  Worse, the geometry strings read from the Quantum differ for each
LUN!  The Quantum drive worked fine under NetBSD/Amiga, and it works fine
under SunOS.