Subject: struggling to get NetBSD/sun3 up
To: None <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/13/1995 18:00:12
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 16:59:20 -0500
> From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>

> I have a lone, diskless Sun 3/60 that I want to boot from a NetBSD/i386 pc.
> I have the networking set up so that rarp and tftp seem to be working.
> I have downloaded the "binary snapshot" from ftp.netbsd.org in
> /pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3
>
> Two things seem to be missing.
>
> 1) The INSTALL clearly states that you need to
> cp -p ../../netbsd.sun3/netbsd.dl60 netbsd
> but netbsd.dl60 is not on ftp.netbsd.org in /pub/NetBSD/arch/sun3

I have let the documentation get out of date.  (Sorry.)
The generic kernel is fine:  netbsd-gen.gz

> 2) The INSTALL states that you need the commercial /usr/kvm/stand/boot.sun3
> but the /usr/src/sys/arch/sun3/netboot looks like it contains the source
> for a replacement for /usr/kvm/stand/boot.sun3

That has not been tested at all, and has only disk boot functions.
I just committed it in hopes that someone might finish it up.
(Actually, the standalone glue has been tested but that's all.)

So for now, you still need the Sun boot program, and some way to
build kernels with a Sun OMAGIC header format (i.e. cross compile).

Gordon