Subject: problems using type 5 keyboard
To: None <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/11/1995 14:06:03
> From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 21:13:39 -0500

> (aside: I found my problem with booting with root == sd1...
> the /dev entries weren't there.  onto the next problem...)

Ah.  I should have thought to ask about that...

> the system configs okay, but as soon as it starts to do anything
> it says
>
> keyboard not responding
> kd: kbd_iopen, error = 5

If you look at the code, that means we sent it a reset, and it
did not respond with its ID.  Are you sure you wired up both
directions of the data leads?  (The kbd is bi-directional!)

You could hack the code to assume type 3 if no answer arrives.
I think the sun keyboards all use a superset of the type 3 codes.
This checks out for type 3 and type 4 keyboards at least, so
the worst that would happen is some new keys would be ignored.

> my keyboard is a type 5 (with a homemade adaptor to connect
> it to the db-15 on the back of the cabinet.)  It works fine
> under sunos 4.1.1.
>
> I suspect the keyboard works in some kind of type 4 compatibility
> mode until it is reset, after which it wants to act like a type 5

Possibly.  I don't know.

> anyway, before I start experimenting with kbd.c, does anyone know
> how to fix this?  would the sparc kbd.c do any better?

The keyboard driver was taken directly from the sparc port and simply
reorganized a bit (better) so I doubt the sparc code would help much.

Gordon