Subject: boot problems with root = sd1
To: None <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/10/1995 01:34:41
> From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 00:59:45 -0500

> I'm trying to run NetBSD 1.0A (as of yesterday or so) on my Sun 3/75
> (but with an si SCSI controller rather than an sd controller).
>
> My NetBSD root disk [is sd1]

> So I recompiled the kernel from -current using a slightly modified
> GENERIC config file (I commented out "options GENERIC" and changed
> "swap generic" to "root on sd1 swap on sd1").  Booting this, I get:

[ hangs, probably during mountroot ]

> What could be wrong, and what should I do about it?

I'm not sure your config is quite right -- it should look like:
	root on sd1a swap on sd1b

Anyway, you can just use the generic kernel if you boot with
the -a flag (tell kernel to ask questions).  For example:

>b sd()netbsd -a
Boot: sd(0,0,0)netbsd -a
root filesystem type ( 4.2 nfs  ): 4.2
root device ( xy%d[a-h] sd%d[a-h] xd%d[a-h] ): sd0a
root on sd0a fstype 4.2
Boot: netbsd
Size: 522328+111872+63376 bytes
console on zs0 (ttya)
[...copyright...autoconfig...]
scsibus0 at si0
si0 targ 0 lun 0: <MAXTOR, XT-3280, PR02> SCSI0 0/direct fixed
sd0 at scsibus0: 223MB, 1224 cyl, 15 head, 24 sec, 512 bytes/sec
root device? [sd0a]
swap device? [sd0b]
dump device? [sd0b]

> If I get into the debugger and do a "ps", init seems to be running,
> but I'm not sure what else could be going on.

You should have processes 0,1,2 with process 1 trying to exec init.
If you can not get the generic kernel to boot with -a, then while
capturing the console output, break into ddb and do:  ps; trace.
(and mail it to me)

good luck!
Gordon