Subject: Half way...
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/06/1995 10:06:59
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Fri, 03 Feb 1995 17:32:23 -0800
> Sender: owner-port-sun3@netbsd.org
>
> Thx Gordon for the VME tips...the thing now can find it's disk
> controllers, et. al.
>
> BUT - heh - I'm using a serial console on port a.  So, I load SunOS 3.5
> (yup - for real) and it goes through the autoconfigure sequence...Gets
> the xy disks, etc...gets the scsi disks, etc...and then (this flashes by
> really fast...) prints the ``Using ... buffers ... memory'' and prceeds
> to spew garbage (in a pattern, tho) out the serial port.  The machine
> apparently does not come into multi-user, as I cannot ping it.  "hmm..."
>
> So, of course I can't get anywhere for lack of console...Does anyone know
> what might be happening to that thing?

Yeah, (sigh...) SunOS does not agree with the PROM about parity.
As soon as init does a user-open, the port is switched from 8N1
to 7E1 with the result you observe.  Can you set the attached
terminal to strip input?  (i.e. "space"-7bit-1stop)

Could also be a speed change, but ttya is normally 9600 bps.

Gordon