Subject: Problems with 3/60 network boot
To: None <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/08/1994 16:32:14
> From: tsarna@endicor.com (Ty Sarna)
> Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 19:25:52 GMT

> Well, I thought I'd try out the 3/60 port again, but it's giving me the
> same problem I had last time around.  The Sun network booter has no
> trouble getting the root directory and loading the kernel from it, but
> when the kernel tries to mount that same directory it reports that it
> was denied permission, and an error code 1.

Your server's mountd is restricting NFS mounts to clients that send
their RPC requests from a "reserved" port number.  The diskless boot
code does not (yet) use reserved ports.  For now, you should start
mountd with the -n flag to allow "non-root" requests (those from
non-reserved ports).

> Also, si0 is recognized and the system pauses for awhile after that
> (presumably looking for attached drives) but doesn't find any.  I have
> both a a hard and tape drive attached and powered up and they work just
> fine under SunOS.  Under netbsd their lights don't even blink durring
> the pause after si0, though.

I have no idea about this one.  Mine works with just a disk (ID=0).
Does the problem occur with "netbsd-le0" in the FTP/sun3 area?

> The system is a 3/60, 24M, CG4, console on kerboard/gfx.  Kernel is a
> July 30 sup, DISKLESS config, cross-compiled from NetBSD/amiga (also
> from July 30).  Boot server is the amiga.  I have booted a SunOS
> kernel with no problem from that server, but when I use the exact same
> configuration with a netbsd kernel I get the above problems.

Does the CG4 work OK?  (I don't have a CG4)

Gordon