Subject: Sun3/50 memory map
To: None <hls@oce.nl>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/02/1994 16:23:28
> From: "Harry Schreurs" <HLS@oce.nl>
> Date:          Thu, 2 Jun 1994 18:56:29 GMT +0100

[...]
> Is there a ftp site, other than sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, where I
> can get these files. It will take some time, before these files
> are available to me on sun-lamp!

[ I can make them available here.  Contact me privately. -gwr ]

> Meanwhile I made /dev/ttya the console port. I think I found a problem
> in machdep.c. By looking at the SPARC's machdep.c I discovered the
> following differences. Can you comment on this?

The changes look OK to me (makes buffer_map and phys_map pageaable).
It didn't make a difference for me.  Did this fix something for you?

> With these changes I was able to boot a kernel, based on the latest
> kernel sources, up to the point where it consults BOOTP.
> >From this point on, something is going very terribly wrong!!
> I think this is caused by the fact, that the memory being used to
> prepare this bootp-request, is part of the black and white memory
> frame buffer of my SUN 3/50. At some point, the packets that are being
> put on the network have the wrong ethernet source adresses!!!

Yikes!  I don't have a 3/50 but that sounds interesting.  Adam has
previously written that we need to turn on MACHINE_NONCONTIG for the
ugly 3/50 memory map.  I wonder if we can just "allocate" the memory
where the frame buffer lives to keep it from being mis-used. (Adam?)

Gordon Ross