Subject: Binary distribution of /etc
To: None <hls@oce.nl>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/19/1994 11:48:53
> From: "Harry Schreurs" <HLS@oce.nl>
> Date:          Thu, 19 May 1994 16:14:05 GMT +0100

> I just started using the provided GENERIC conf file.
>
> In order to be able to compile, I had to change one line of
> the config file into:
>
>     config      netbsd swap nfs

Well GENERIC is sort of wishful thinking at the moment.
I would use TIMESINK or SCSITEST as the basis for your config.

> But the bad part is, that it doesn't respond to my keyboard.
> Watching the #-prompt, I am not able to type in any command!!

I was not able to debug the keyboard console stuff due to lack of
a test machine with a keyboard.  If you'd like to try to fix it,
I'd suggest you (1) define DEBUG in zs.c to see if the keyboard
port is generating interrupts, then (2) add debugging printf()s
to make sure kbd.c:kbd_rint(cc) is getting called, etc.

I'll be happy to try and help you debug the thing.

> Question 1: What should go into /etc? In the source distribution there
> is no etc.sun directory in src/etc! For all other architecture there is a
> etc.xxx directory ;-)
Sorry, no etc.sun3 yet.  It can be empty.

> Question 2: In absence of a MAKEDEV script I don't know what to put
> into /dev. I am interested in what device is opened by init, to get
> input from the keyboard. Is init still trying to use the prom driver
> instead of the zs driver?
I can send out preliminary MAKEDEV later (remind me if I don't).

Hmmm... You should only need /dev/console to get a prompt, I think.
Do you have both zs0 and zs1 in your config file?  (see SCSITEST)
You should see a message just before the UCB copyright that says
which console the kernel will use, i.e.:
	console on kd0 (keyboard/display)
Do you see this?  If not, you may be getting the prom console.

Gordon W. Ross			  Internet: <gwr@mc.com>
Mercury Computer Systems	Voice mail: 508-256-0052x295
199 Riverneck Road		Front desk: 508-256-1300
Chelmsford, MA 01824-2820	 Facsimile: 508-256-3599