Subject: Re: major number for /dev/zero
To: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1994 15:22:16
> #define       DEVZERO makedev(2, 12)          /* major,minor of /dev/zero */
>
> The major# of 2 is what Markus told me to use for m68k machines.

uhh...surely it's not with kind of cpu you're using, but what legacy
system you're trying to be compatible with?

> Perhaps this is only valid for 4.0.3 machines. Can someone with a
> 4.0.3 machine tell me if that is what it is from, or perhaps Markus
> can clarify?
>
> If /dev/zero is supposed to be a 3,12 for all Sun machines now, then
> we should update this immediately. It is also possible that I could
> hack sun_misc.c further to deal with either 3,12 or 2,12.

Surely /dev/zero is the same for all sun3 machines running 4 <= SunOS < 5.
(otherwise Sun's customers would have had big problems upgrading within
minor vesions of SunOS v4!)

Even if it weren't, you should be compatible with 4.1.1* on a sun3, since
that's what everybody trying to build NetBSD for their Sun3 will be running.
4.1.1 uses makedev (3,12).

If you want the file systems to be compatible (being able to boot either
SunOS or NetBSD on the same file system, or being able to build a NetBSD
file system using SunOS), then you need them to match.

What's to discuss?

Keith