Subject: major number for /dev/zero
To: None <port-sun3@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1994 12:51:48
> From: Chuck Silvers <chs+@CS.CMU.EDU>
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 94 01:08:13 EST

[...]
> It looks like all that was keeping sunos dynamically-linked programs from
> working was the define for DEVZERO in compat/sunos/sun_misc.c.
> It currently has:
>
> #if defined(sparc)
> #define	DEVZERO	makedev(3, 12)		/* major,minor of /dev/zero */
> #else /* all m68k architectures */
> #define	DEVZERO	makedev(2, 12)		/* major,minor of /dev/zero */
> #endif
>
> But my sun3 sunos 4.1.1 system has /dev/zero as (3,12) too.
> Maybe it's more a question of which version of sunos than
> which architecture?  Anyway, once this constant and the device file
> match, the sunos /usr/bin/ls ran and produced the right output.
> Kind of underwhelming, really.

Yes, it is really a question of which SunOS version we would like to be
compatible with.  If we have to choose one, I think it should be the
latest 4.X for the machine (4.1.1/sun3, 4.1.3+/sparc) because that is
what most people will have.  (and that's what I have :-)

> I tried using the native netbsd /sbin and /bin binaries from sun-lamp,
> and they mostly worked ok, except that init was giving me these errors:
>
> Mar 10 03:17:27 init: can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal:
>     Operation not permitted
>
> Sunos init doesn't have this problem.

Same here.  Anyone know what it is trying to do to the ttys?

Gordon W. Ross  		Mercury Computer Systems
gwr@mc.com      		199 Riverneck Road
508-256-1300			Chelmsford, MA 01824-2820