Subject: Re: bleh
To: Adam Glass <glass@SUN-LAMP.CS.BERKELEY.EDU>
From: Chuck Silvers <chs+@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/16/1994 01:08:13
> so is anyone other than gordon doing anything?

I was hoping to have more time to work on this by now, but unfortunately
while I was making a copy of my sunos disk for someone, I managed to plug in
the scsi cable upside-down.  oops.  anyway, I just finished setting up
another disk with sunos and the netbsd sources tonite.

It looks like all that was keeping sunos dynamically-linked programs from
working was the define for DEVZERO in compat/sunos/sun_misc.c.
It currently has:

#if defined(sparc)
#define	DEVZERO	makedev(3, 12)		/* major,minor of /dev/zero */
#else /* all m68k architectures */
#define	DEVZERO	makedev(2, 12)		/* major,minor of /dev/zero */
#endif

But my sun3 sunos 4.1.1 system has /dev/zero as (3,12) too.
Maybe it's more a question of which version of sunos than
which architecture?  Anyway, once this constant and the device file
match, the sunos /usr/bin/ls ran and produced the right output.
Kind of underwhelming, really.

I tried using the native netbsd /sbin and /bin binaries from sun-lamp,
and they mostly worked ok, except that init was giving me these errors:

Mar 10 03:17:27 init: can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal: Operation not permitted

Sunos init doesn't have this problem.
The sunos sh did occasionally die, but I haven't investigated at all yet.

-Chuck