Subject: ENVIRONMENT
To: None <port-sun3>
From: Adam Glass <glass>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/11/1994 22:55:56
Kernel compilation + booting environment:		<$Revision: 1.1 $>

Note: this assumes you are running SunOS on the compiling machine.
      You can cross-compile but you are on your own.

The kernel compilation environment consists of:

A version of gcc targetted for sun3s running SunOS.  If you are using
it on your sun3 to compile programs for use on your sun3, then you've
got what you need.  gcc is fetchable from archive sites everywhere.
Personally i've used versions 2.3.3 and above on this tree.  All of
this should also work hosted on another machine, cross-compiling for
SunOS, but I haven't tried it.

A very recent copy of config.new, a new version of config authored by
Chris Torek, and distributed with NetBSD.  If you follow
NetBSD-current, then a recent version will do fine.
src/usr.sbin/config.new is a bit of a pain to compile otherwise for
most people, as it requires, byacc, flex, and just too much fiddling.
With this in mind, a sunos statically linked version is included in
the distribution as sun3_bin/config.new

Berkeley make + system makefiles.  Not just a ported one, but our
slightly enhanced version.  I think older verisons are usable with
some amount of futzing.  The sources for Berkeley make can be found in
src/usr.bin/make, and they build with some effort if you use the
Makefile.dist included.  You also have to copy the src/share/mk/*
files to /usr/share/mk.

gas.  I've included a binary that works, but any version targeted to
SunOs should work.  If you get some wierd comments about .type
pseudo-ops, just remove them.  If you have problems let me know...

You also need to change the CC, and AS entries in the installed
/usr/share/mk/sys.mk appropriately.  Or you can override this later.
But this tree will not compile under a non-ansi compiler.

Last but not least, you need to put sun3_bin/libkern.a in
sys/arch/sun3/compile.

Once you've got a kernel compiled (see BUILDING) you'll need
(presently) a nfs diskles booting environment.  Read your SunOS man
pages for details.

Populate your root with the files in NetBSD-m68k.  Eventually this
will include a full tree snapshot, but right now its just sbin, and
bin, with etc to shortly follow.