Re: NetBSD 8.1 / Sun Ultra5 install crash during initial kernel device autosizing

Hello,

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 11:46:45 +1100
Mike Barnes <mike%bremensaki.com@localhost> wrote:

> > Do you have a different monitor to try? This looks like machfb tries to
> > program a video mode and for some reason screws up. My initial thought
> > is that maybe the monitor's EDID block describes a mode machfb can't
> > support for whatever reason.
>
> I'm using a Sun LSA800 flat panel monitor with mine, same results.

I committed a couple changes to machfb which may help here, please try
a -current kernel from yesterday or later. It should:
- no longer freak out about hardware not set up by OF
- avoid unnecessary video mode changes
- not try to program video modes above 1280x1024 ( unless set up by
  firmware ) in order to avoid a known bug in machfb

I tested this on a beige G3's onboard Rage II and a Sun Ultra 60 with a
PGX64, aka Rage XL.

have fun
Michael