Re: README: ports switching to GCC 8.

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019, matthew green wrote:

hi folks.

i've recently switched sparc* to GCC 8 and will be soon
switching powerpc.  just running a few more tests to
ensure builds should work.

you'll probably need to do a clean build, though at least
tools/gcc itself will be OK.

as always, please send-pr or email me with issues related
to this.

I tried to boot a sparc64 kernel that I think was built after the switch on an Ultra 45, and it fails to find any disks. I see the same problem with a netbsd-9 branch kernel. This looks very similar to PR port-sparc64/54211, except that mine is an mtp controller. That PR was after sparc64 was switched to GCC 7, so my first instinct is the problem may be due to GCC 7 and GCC 8. I haven't had any time to do any debugging yet, but hope to work on it soon.

One thing I did note is that both the netbsd-9 kernel and the current kernel boot on my Ultra 45 without crashing in the audio driver that started when sparc64 was switched to GCC 6.

Miken

---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%NetBSD.org@localhost
Operations Consulting,  University Information Technology
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA