Re: Netbsd v 8.0 fails to boot on spare ultra 45

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Glenn Mawby wrote:

Hi,
I???ve a spare ultra 45 with one cpu, 5gig ram and a xvr-2500 graphics card.

I???ve tried to boot a fresh burn of Netbsd spare 64 version 8.

It starts to boot but I get Error: Software initiated reset has occurred and it reboots.  Any ideas?

SIR is an indication the kernel got seriously stuffed up in trap
handling code.  And it doesn't look like OBP properly recovered since
you're not getting to the `ok' prompt.

How far did it get?  Can you capture the kernel output during boot?

Also, try disconnecting the keyboard and using the serial console.

I saw this same think back in May - I was trying to get something booted on my ultra 45 I had in my office. I tried an ISO from the daily builds and noticed I got an SIR on boot. I didn't pay much attention to it, as I had a disk at home that had a bootable system and used it.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to turn on the ultra 45 at home, and since it had a build environment on it (from 2014), I thought I try some newer kernels. I set up a build for netbsd-8 and -current and found that my netbsd-8 kernel also crashed with the SIR on boot. I started looking into that and determined that it occurred when configureing the audio driver. I got stuck trying to track it through the code, so now I'm trying builds of various dates between Sep 2015 (last good kernel I had) and Sep 2017. I would presume the problem is either there when netbsd-8 was branched, or some pullup done afterwards. I'm hoping to find the exact commit with breaks it and then see how to fix it.

Not getting to the `ok' prompt makes me suspect the video card, but maybe
OBP just switches to the serial port after an SIR.

  OBP seems to just reboot the machine with a 'boot' command.

To diagnose the problem we really need to get the pc value of the SIR
instruction that was executed.

Eduardo

I don't see any PC reported when it gets the SIR, so I haven't determined exactly where that is occuring.

Mike

---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Operations Consulting,  University Information Technology
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA