Re: Sun T5220 firmware update

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 09:13:39PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 10:23:41 -0700
> John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> wrote:
>
> >      Please don't ask for pirated stuff here.
> >      Sun no longer exists.  Oracle has no interest in
> > students/hackers. They are primarily aimed at the enterprise market
> > and have done extremely well there (as a software company, they are
> > second only to Microsoft in size).  I understand that there is some
> > argument that if students/hackers like something they will bring it
> > to the enterprise.  On the other hand, for that problems that Oracle
> > Database is designed to solve, there is very little competition.
>
> OK that is your view and I respect that, however:
>
> I'm not trying to pirate anything. I paid for the hardware +
> firmware some time ago, so paying silly money for Oracle support
> contract just to update that single firmware makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, it does, from the point of view of Oracle. Their target customers
are big enterprises with sufficiently deep pockets, not you.

> I'm not using it for commercial purposes and can't justify the cost.
> Most hardware manufacturers provide firmware updates for free!

Oracle is not a hardware manufacturer - they are primarily a database
company with a peculiar (but profitable) business model that also happens
to sell hardware, usually bundled with their database software.

> Over the last few years Oracle laid off a large number of SPARC and
> Solaris developers.

Which is a big [censored] clue that Oracle doesn't care about SPARC or
Solaris.

> Solaris is pretty good - ZFS, Dtrace, Zones, LDoms,
> etc, but it is rather awkward if you don't have deep pockets:

So don't run it. Seriously, Oracle put a stake through the heart of SUN
the moment they bought them. Too bad, and a real shame, but it happened.

> Something stinks about this. Unsurprisingly young people use Linux
> and x86 and when those same people graduate and work at enterprise
> businesses that used to buy Oracle hardware, they replace it with
> Linux and x86.

Working just fine IMHO.

Kind regards,
            Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison