Re: Someone using COMPAT_SVR4(_32) ?

Le 01/08/2017 à 19:30, Dave McGuire a écrit :
   Please forgive me for jumping in.

   History has shown that, in the general sense, the parts of an
open-source project that are fun and flashy get most of the attention
from developers.  Writing new whiz-bang features to show off in the
release notes is a lot more fun than chasing bugs and maintaining
existing code, so that's most of what happens.

   When you couple that with the "this is buggy, just rip it out"
mindset, what we'll be left with is just the parts that developers find
it fun to work on.

   Ripping out good features because they simply need to be fixed is an
awful idea.

No it's not. For your information, several vulnerabilities in compat_svr4
were presented at DEFCON 25, and we now have wild kernel exploits out there,
affecting NetBSD-6 and NetBSD-7. It's not just "buggy", it makes all of the
system vulnerable - including your sparc64 machines.

Again, if it "simply" needs to be fixed, why didn't you fix it? Seeing how
things are turning out, this piece of code will not be maintained in the
future, and therefore it will remain buggy for those who enable it.

As said earlier, Solaris is under active development, but our implementation
has not kept pace with the changes.

If you would like to audit and maintain our compat_svr4 implementation, you
are welcome. You can send patches to tech-kern@, they will be reviewed and
certainly committed. But no one has ever audited it so far, and no one has
shown any interest in doing that.

Finally, removing this piece of code has little to do with shiny stuff. It
has to do with making the code base clearer, in such a way that several of
our ports are easier to maintain, and as a result, more functional.

Maxime