Re: Ultrasparc III+ kernel panic

Julian Coleman a écrit :
Hi,

Is it possible to swap the graphics cards in these two?

First server (stable) :
- 2 * USIII/750
- XVR-500 (no screen, no keyboard)

Second server (unstable) :
- 2 * USIII+/900
- Creator-3D (text console)

The reason that I ask is that I'm seeing a number of "SIR Reset"'s happening
on my U60, and it's a lot worse with 2 CPU's installed, or with a Creator-3D
as the console.  With 1 CPU, I haven't seen one, and with serial console,
they happen less frequently.  I haven't been able to match the resets to
system load - they are more likely when the machine is busy (e.g. running
/etc/daily), but can also happen when it's idle.  On the other hand, with 2
CPU's and a serial console, it managed 10 days of continuous pkgsrc building
before resetting.

I'm not sure if this is related (different hardware) or not.  However, as
the problem is worse on the U60 with the C-3D as console, there might be
something related to UPA.

For comparison, I have an SB2000 with:

   501-6230 system board
   2 * 501-6485 1200MHz US III Cu
   501-4788 Creator-3D (console)
   375-3181 XVR-100
   2 * Fujitsu MAW3300FC in RAID 1

as my desktop, and this is stable.

	Julian,

I have made some tests. First server (XVR500, 2*US-III/750) remains in same configuration and is stable.

I don't understand why I cannot put a XVR500 in second one. System starts but screen was unusable (display takes a bad resolution and was scrambled). In a first time, I thought my second XVR500 was dying. But I have a third Blade 2000 in the same place and this XVR500 runs fine in third Blade 2000... Why ? I don't know. And all PCI slot run fine in server where XVR500 doesn't work...

Thus, I have swapped both servers. I have tested third one with Creator 3D (new creator3D, new memory, one new CPU, one retired from second server...) and it hangs like second one. The last night, I have installed XVR500 and removed Creator 3D). Now, server is stable enough to build NetBSD from sources and pkgsrc :

load averages:  7.36,  7.20,  7.02;   up 0+11:33:42        11:54:04
145 processes: 5 runnable, 137 sleeping, 1 zombie, 2 on CPU
CPU states: 79.4% user, 0.0% nice, 20.6% system, 0.0% int, 0.0% idle
Memory: 1078M Act, 543M In, 9192K Wired, 71M Exec, 1264M File, 42M Free
Swap: 8050M Total, 143M Used, 7907M Free

	I suspect a bug somewhere in UPA support as you said.

	Best regards,

	JKB