Re: U80 console trouble

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Mouse wrote:

> >> Today (well, 2013-02-05 - yesterday, by now, in this timezone) I
> >> tried to run NetBSD/sparc64 on an Ultra 80.  [...keyboard working to
> >> drop into ddb, not but dead userland prompt]
>
> > Need a whole bunch of info:
>
> > What sort of keyboard?
>
> Type...6, I think?  I can find out.  One of the types with...
>
> > How is it attached?
>
> ...the miniDIN-8 connector, the one type-4 and type-5 use (and, though
> the connector is different, electrically the same as the type-3 and
> type-2).

So it's not USB?

> > What are the OBP device nodes involved?
>
> I don't know.  I can find out, but not for a few days.
>
> > Can you get messages of the kernel trying to attach the keyboard?
>
> Yes (though, again, not for a few days).  I do recall noticing a report
> of wskbd0 (or was it kbd0?) getting associated with a wsdisplay, but I
> don't have the rest of the relevant autoconf goop.  Indeed, it might be
> hard to get it, because most of it has scrolled off the screen, and
> I've been unable to get any input to userland.  I can try for serial
> console, though I don't know whether that will perturb the symptom out
> of existence.
>
> Hmm, this is the install CD; maybe I can make the install software, the
> stuff that's printing the prompt I can't answer, grab dmesg and dump it
> out serial port A or some such.
>
> > What's the OBP `input-device'?
>
> Whatever the default is (we did a set-defaults).  I can get details in,
> again, a few days.
>
> I didn't figure most of those would matter too much because the
> keyboard is clearly hooked into the kernel fine at lowish levels,
> because L1-A drops into ddb, meaning the relevant serial port hardware
> is getting protocol from the keyboard and recognizing at least a few
> keystrokes correctly.  Or at least that's my interpretation; do I
> misunderstand?

The kernel will attach the OBP input device first, then swap it out for
later for a set of hardware drivers if it can.  The OBP input device is
a serial stream, not a keyboard, so key translation won't work and things
like X won't work.

Sun keyboards originally were serial devices attached to stupid Zilog
serial controllers.  Around the time of the U10 the keybard were attached
to 16550 type serial controllers.  Nowadays they are all USB keyboards.

In order to properly attach a serial keyboard the instance of the serial
driver needs special hooks enabled to add a Sun keyboard line discipline.

I assume this machine uses a 16550 to run the keyboard.  This means the
correct com driver instance needs to have the hooks enabled to attach the
keyboard line discipline.

Maybe the com driver is not attaching to the correct 16550 device, or
maybe the line discipline is not attaching.

Do diagnose this problem we need to know the OBP path to the keyboard, the
contents of `input-device' which may well point to something completely
different, and the kernel messages for the attachment of the serial ports.

Eduardo