Re: SunFire v240 hardware question

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 05:17:16PM -0500, Chris Ross wrote:

>   (1) Is this a problem?  I mean, if I'm not going to be pushing this
>   machine hard, do I need to worry about it?  (It will be mostly a
>   mail server, pretty lightly loaded, CPU-wise)

When this happened to me under Solaris, the machine would shut down
before damage would occur.  I don't know that this happens under NetBSD
though.

>   (2) How _hard_ is it to replace said fan?  Anyone done it?

I just replaced the entire heatsink assembly, which was very cheap to
purchase.  However, it looked like replacing the fan on the assembly
would only require a few screws if you wanted to replace only the fan.

>   I've replaced fans in lots of equipment, sometimes even CPU
>   heat-sink fans.  But, that often requires removing the sink from the
>   processor, which is something I'd rather not do if avoidable.  I
>   have a few types of heatsink compound, all many years old, but
>   likely adequate, I'd just rather not if it could be avoided.  :-)

My recall was that the V240 used a thermal pad instead of thermal paste
and when I took it apart the pad was not damaged.