Re: SUNW,m46B resolutions?

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, der Mouse wrote:

> >> I have a U5 whose framebuffer is a SUNW,m64B [...] machfb0 [...]
>
> > The machfb driver is a full fledged kernel driver and should be able
> > to change the device's resolution to anything you want once the OS is
> > loaded.
>
> How?  I'm not familiar with any interface that allows changing a
> framebuffer's resolution after booting.  I even had a quick look at the
> driver and didn't see anything.  What should I go read up on?

It seems to be a complicated mess involving wscon and extracting the
defaults from the firmware for SPARC and MacPPC.  It may be easiest to
hack the attach code to pick the format you want.  Otherwise I assume you
will need some arcane wscons operation to switch resolution.

> > You can `see' show-modes and mode# to see what they are and if they
> > take a parameter to dump the entire table.
>
> I've looked there.  There's a constant which appears to be a bitmask of
> supported modes.  That value is 4 - corresponding to mode 2, the one it
> printed. :-(  I don't know whether this is because I haven't connected
> it to a monitor since last power-on so it didn't get any EDID data or
> because it's just an unusually impoverished variant I have or what.

I don't think the firmware driver reads the EDID info from the display.  I
think that's only done by the OS for that device.  But I suppose it's
worth a try.  Obviously if OBP reads the EDID it only would do so on a
reset.

Eduardo