Re: NetBSD support for Suns with dead IDPROM batteries

On Tue, 24 May 2011 14:06:15 -0700
Erik Fair <fair%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> What have I missed?
It is trivial to replace the dead battery with a new one. There are
instructions in the Sun NVRAM FAQ. I think I have fixed several dozends
of ID-PROMs over the years. I did the fix for several friends who
didn't want to touch a soldering iron.

Even if you don't want to hack the hardware, you can reprogramm the
ID-PROM after power up. It takes only a few simple Forth words, see the
Sun NVRAM FAQ. The machine will run fine with a real Ethernet MAC
address until powered down.

So I really, really don't see any need to to clobber NetBSD to work
with defect hardware that is easy to fix.
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}