Re: UltraSPARC III

matthew green wrote:
Does CURRENT boot on the Sun Fire V480, and if so, does SMP work?
Don't know about the V480. But current runs on my V240 and supports
SMP. Last time I tried (several months ago) it was still a bit
unstable. IIRC due to US III cache sync issues.

i'm not aware of any cache issues.

there is a problem with the USIIIi variants.  i suspect it is the
pci controller or some other III vs IIIi difference.  my SB2500
will reset after "some time" (it can be as little as a few minutes
or as long as 15 hours) under heavy load (such as a build.sh -j5.)

And this problem *doesn't* apply to the USIII, only the IIIi?

usually when resetting it reports the address that causes the
problem, and it normally matches up somewhat closely with the PCI
device that was being used for root.  in my cases, 2 network cards
and he onboard scsi have all shown it individually.

and yeah, 5.1 won't support USIII.  i didn't even consider looking
at what would be necessary for it, it would be some effort.

So I guess I'll stick with CURRENT until 6.0 comes out.

Peace...  Sridhar