Re: Sparc64 on v440

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 01:10:43 +0400
Dima Veselov <kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost> wrote:

> I understand, that V440 is unsupported,
I have a V240 and I try to get NetBSD onto it when time permits. The
basics are there: Support for the US III TLB and a driver for the
Schizo PCI host bridge. Unfortunately there is somthing broken in the
NetBSD VM subsystem for US III. A kernel compiled with DEBUG, LOCKDEBUG
and DIAGNOSTIC fails with:

schizo0 at mainbus0: addr 4000ff00000: "Tomatillo", version 4, ign 1e, bus B 0
to 0
schizo0: panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "ukh->ukh_nused ==
UVM_KMAPENT_CHUNK" failed: file "/usr/src/current/src/sys/uvm/uvm_map.c", line
4610
Stopped in pid 0.1 (system) at  netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:        nop
db>

The same kernel runs well on a US II machine.

My problem: I don't have any clue about the details of the NetBSD
UVM system. To solve this myself I would have to learn everything about
UVM, pmap(9), etc. first. This is quite some work and will consume lots
of time. It would be a big help if some VM guru could point me into the
right direction. I even don't know where and how to start debugging this.

> but wish to know if it is hard-coding job or I can assist a little?
If you have in depth knowledge of the UltraSPARC III and NetBSD virtual
memory management...

> Since I am pretty interested in newer sparc systems and have a lot of
> them, even able to provide network access. For now I have V240, V440,
> T1000, T2000 systems free of duty.
V240, V440 are sun4u. T1000, T2000 are sun4v. sun4v uses some
paravirtualizing technics. NetBSD has no support for sun4v at the
moment.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen