   interface. A backtrace on the core file shows it's failing in ifinit():

   Core was generated by `routed'.
   Program terminated with signal 10, Bus error.
   #0  0x0000000000103394 in ifinit ()
   (gdb) bt
   #0  0x0000000000103394 in ifinit ()
   #1  0x0000000000106cbc in main ()
   (gdb)

   I'm guessing that this is a word length or alignment issue, any
   suggestions as to what to look for?

hmm, this may be an alignment issue yes.  the code in ifinit()
casts a char * buffer to a structure.  possibly it needs to
memcpy() it into a valid structure... the loop starting with:

        for (ifam = (struct ifa_msghdr *)sysctl_buf;

appears to be the problem.  it's a big function..

.mrg.