Re: Readying a disk for booting NetBSD-5

On Jul 4, 2009, at 11:41, der Mouse wrote:
One possibility is that sunlabel labels aren't sparc64-compatible.  (I
don't think this is very likely, but it needs mentioning - I haven't
done enough sparc64 stuff to have much familiarity with them.)

I suspect this isn't the case, but don't know. It will pass for now, though, because...

The next possibility that comes to mind is that your disk isn't on
/sbus/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0.
[....] Two is that the device isn't at SCSI ID 0 -
check probe-scsi, probe-scsi-all, and/or what netbooted NetBSD says
about the device's target on the SCSI bus.

Bah. Now I feel foolish. A quick look at the boot messages show clearly that the disk I'm looking at is target 1, not target 0. Sadly, this doesn't entirely solve my problem. I'm now seeing:

Rebooting with command: boot disk1
Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@1,0  File and args:
NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
Invalid superblock magic
Fast Data Access MMU Miss
{0} ok

This is, I believe, my error for newfs'ing with an FFSv2 filesystem. So, I'll have to reformat anyway. I'll try backing out to the INSTALL process of booting an instfs filesystem. Though, I have some recollection that there was [to be] motion on booting from FFSv2 on sparc's. Did that not ever get completed? Shame, really. But, I do know that it was "ffsv1 only for boot partition" some time ago.

  Thanks much for your help...

         - Chris