Re: Creator3D programming

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:43:39 +0100
"David Brownlee" <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> > OK, nevermind, I managed to figure it out eventually.
> > If anyone is interested, check out the following C program. It
> > draws 3 graident lines in the top left corner of the screen. It
> > modifies pixels directly in the framebuffer's memory
>
> Shiny... are you working towards anything in particular or is this a
> 'because its there' project? :)

Hmm.. hard to say, I like programming, mainly C and a bit of SPARC
assembly. These days, any sort of GUI programming involves X11 libs, or
some other libs that sit on top of X11, like GTK or QT. I played a bit
with X11, but I get the impression it's too bloated and complicated.
I've got two framebuffers - Creator3D and Elite3D, so I'm trying to
figure out how the hardware works, then I want to write a small
"driver" which will draw primitives like dots, lines, polygons, etc.

When I'm happy with the driver and the abstraction it provies between
the framebuffer and the upper layers, I can start developing
experimental GUI library + applications. Something small and efficient,
because I gave up on Gnome and KDE a long time ago.

The hardest bit is getting hardware documentation. I posted the
following message on OpenSolaris forums, but nobody even cared to reply
on it...

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=384947