Re: Naturetech 888P (mostly) working

On Thu, 28 May 2009 16:50:52 +0100
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
[...]
> > Xorg on this box is just plain weird. The 888P has a 1400x1050 LCD
> > display, but Xorg will only drive it at 1024x768. And Xorg.0.log shows
> > that Xorg claims the builtin display is a CRT on the (external) VGA
> > connector.
>
> This is almost certainly because we get the display size/depth from the PROM
> and pass that on to X.

Drawing only on the default 'screen' and ignoring what's in output-device?

> > As an aside, even the OpenPROM settings for the display are strange;
> > 'screen' comes up as 1024x768 while the boot font is too large to fit
> > 80 columns in such. OpenPROM has 1280x1024 predefined, but no 1400x1050.
> > I hope to get around to adding r1400x1050x60, but I'm currently ignorant
> > of how to work out sync pulse width and porch width.
>
> Presumably it is using a standard PROM, so doesn't have any 1400x1050
> resolutions.  What does the display attach as?

I've got output-device set to screen:r1280x1024x60, so at least wscons
comes up as that. Or am I misinterpreting your question?

> You might find these of use when calculating video timings:
>

> http://riksun.riken.go.jp/pub/pub/Linux/slackware/slackware-3.5/docs/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO
>   http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html

Okay, thanks!

> You could search for XFree or Xorg 1400x1050 timings - you might find one
> that fits your TFT.  If we can get the EDID data from the TFT, that would be
> even better.

No luck with getting EDID data from Xorg on the box. I'm considering
building XFree for this to see what it puts in the logs.