SCA SCSI drives for Ultra 1

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to NetBSD, and new to the mailing list.

I am considering getting some hard drives for my old Ultra 1 Enterprise. It originally had two 4 GB disks, but one has died, and Ebay has some good deals on 18, 36, and 74 GB drives.

My question is this - the Ultra 1 has an SCA SCSI backplane that can support two disks. I know that there are two versions of SCA, SCA-1 and SCA-2, but it's difficult to find information about them, so I am unsure what version the Ultra 1 has (the service manual doesn't say, either), whether they are backward compatible, etc. I don't want to buy a 74 GB disk only to find that it doesn't work in my system.

I also know (from the Wikipedia article) that there are "single- ended" and "low voltage differential" types of SCA - http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Connector_Attachment - but not sure what difference, if any, that makes for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gabriel

PS - let me say how impressed I am with the hardware support of the sparc64 port! I originally put Debian on this machine, only to find that there is no Linux driver for the Sbus to PCMCIA bridge. So, I decided to install NetBSD. To be honest, it was painful at first (I think coming from stuff like Ubuntu has made me lazy!) - there is no dvorak map in the generic sparc64 kernel, so I had to create my own. But following the very good documentation, I quickly had things up and running. I recompiled the kernel last night to include the nell pcmcia bridge driver, and a few other things, and this morning I am up and running with a pcmcia WiFi card!