Re: SATAlink PCI card and Ultra 5?

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 05:25:47PM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> Whatcha need to do is figure out why OBP isn't seeing the device on the
> U5.  Turn on fcode-debug? and diag-switch?, reset the machine, cd to the
> /pci node and see if there's a "pci-debug" word visible.  If there is,
> set it to true and type probe-all.  It should display what OBP does to
> the BARs for each device it probes.

Ummm.  You've lost me here.  I know how to set "diag-switch?", but I
have no idea how to check for the "pci-debug" word, and how to set it...

> Alternatively, you can select the /pci node and config-l@ with the correct
> config space address to directly read the device registers.

... ditto... :(

Could you show me sample command lines, and the to-be-expected output?

(Alternatively: is there a good online documentation about this OBP stuff
available?)

> If you can see the device then OBP is not probing it properly.  You should
> be able to create an nvramrc script to generate a node for your device, or
> possibly tweak the PCI prober to recognize the device.
>
> If you can't see the config space registers then it's some sort of
> hardware incompatibility and you probably need to find a different card.

Given the fact that it doesn't work in the Pentium-III PC either, it might
be something to that extend "I don't work in slow PCs".  But let's see what
the "/pci node" debug stuff finds...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany