mt status && LTO1

Hello,

I have a minor problem with my <HP, Ultrium 1-SCSI, N2CG> tape drive, working inside a UltraAXI.
This package is currently working with NetBSD4.0RC5.
mt status never show me any usefull position information

# mt rewind
# mt status
SCSI tape drive, residual=0
ds=3<Mounted>
er=0
blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)
density: 64 (0, 0, 0, 0)
current file number: 0
current block number: 0
# mt fsf 1
# mt status
SCSI tape drive, residual=0
ds=3<Mounted>
er=0
blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)
density: 64 (0, 0, 0, 0)
current file number: -1
current block number: -1
# mt eom
# mt status
SCSI tape drive, residual=0
ds=3<Mounted>
er=0
blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)
density: 64 (0, 0, 0, 0)
current file number: -1
current block number: -1

Is this a problem with the hardware? with Sparc64? or a general problem with NetBSD? storing and reading data works. But there is also some odd behaviour, if i try to read

# dd if=/dev/nrst0 bs=512 | tar -tvf -
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.055 secs (0 bytes/sec)
# dd if=/dev/nrst0 bs=512 | tar -tvf -
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.055 secs (0 bytes/sec)
# dd if=/dev/nrst0 bs=512 | tar -tvf -
-rw------- doomwarrior/user 43729329 2008-02-24 21:2

Best Regards
Stephan