Re: server recomendations

On Feb 17, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Al - image hosting services wrote:
I looked at them and infact I have another G3 mac, but the issue with it is that they are still in the larger case. I would like to use the Sun Blade 100 because it is small and hopefully will run at about the same
speed as the G3.

Why don't you get a i386 box in a 1U case? It will faster, probably cheap and have fine working IDE or SATA. And a second network will work without
any problems.

There is no good short answer to this. I guess if I had to give one, it
would be I am afraid to use a PC. Every time I get involve with any PC I lose money and I am so broke I just don't have money to put into another server that doesn't work. I used 2 leased servers that were so bad that I was lucky I didn't go out of business. The one was so bad that in crontab "shutdown -rf now" had to run every 2 hours. Worse than that, sometimes it
would still not make it 2 hours before it crashed.

Even when I worked for an ISP we had problems with the intel servers. They put $5,000 into a dual processor P3. The guy that I worked with had said
he was going to give me 2 suns (they were not ultrasparcs). They were
really old systems even then. I installed NetBSD current (this would have
been around 1.6) and eventually the whole ISP was being run off an old
sparc. Even going back to the P3 after it had a restall of linux (NetBSD would not reconize the scsi raid card) it still just keep on crashing. So, it was just used for a long time for NFS because the suns ran out of space on their drives (it only needed to be rebooted once in a while when it was just doing NFS). I think now he put a different scsi card in it and it is
running NetBSD.

I'm right there with you on that. PC != server. I've lost way too much sleep trying to press PC garbage into roles for which it is ill-suited. I don't have the patience for it anymore...I use Suns.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL