Re: Best config for production server WAS: Sun Blade 100 vs Ultra 60

On port-sparc64 Al wrote:

>Also, is anyone using any port-sparc64 system as a production server?

Yes-and-no.  I've used various versions of NetBSD on Ultra 5 and Ultra 10
systems for a few years now (starting with 1.6, then 2.0, 3.1, and
a slightly outdated -current).

Overall it works very well - *but*

 - programs that use threads tend to crash (sore point for me:
   milter-greylist) - supposedly this has been fixed in -current due to
   the move to a new threading model, but I haven't tried that yet.

 - SMP doesn't work yet.

Right now, I've moved to Solaris10 for my primary e-mail server (U420R
with 4x450 MHz CPUs), because I want the SMP and I need the threading
for the mail milters.  And ZFS is nice.  But I still don't like Solaris
(too many things suck - and other things have developed too far away from
"the unix way" to feel comfortable), and consider this a stopgap.

gert
--
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost   fax: +49-89-35655025
http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

You can't expect a boy to be vicious unless he's been to a good school.
                                       - H.H. Munro -