Subject: Re: Netbooting "stupid user questions"
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/21/2007 09:32:01
On Dec 21, 2007, at 00:12, matthew green wrote:

>    bootp: no reply
>    Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address: 206.138.151.49bootparamd:
>    'whoami' call failed
>

> dhcp isn't working for you -- the "bootp" reply failure causes
> ofwboot to then try bootparams.
>
> i recommend tcpdump to see why bootp isn't working.

   I tried that.  I'm actually not seeing anything.  I suppose it
may be some sort of additional problem with renegotiation of the
ethernet link with the switch.  I should go watch the lights to
rule that in/out.

   Does ofwboot reinitialize the ethernet interface?  (hme in this
case)

>   do you have:
>
>         allow bootp;
>
> in your dhcpd.conf?

   No, but that's the default, and I don't have it deny'd.

                     - Chris