Subject: Re: graphics hardware
To: Volker A.Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/22/2007 17:55:01

Hello,

On Nov 22, 2007, at 15:30, Volker A. Brandt wrote:

> Hi Michael!
>

>> if you have any previously unsupported PCI graphics hardware please
>> mail me the relevant bits from ofctl -p - I added generic framebuffer
>> support but I can only test it on a PGX ( a 2MB Rage II ).
>> If you happen to find any such boards you're also welcome to send
>> them my way so I can make them work properly ( as in - with
>> acceleration when possible ) ;)
>
> It would be good if you could (maybe periodically) a small
> table of existing cards and their support status.  I might have
> some time for testing over Christmas, and I have a pile of cards.
> Most of them are SBus and horizontal and vertical UPA but some PCI.

Ok, from the top of my head ( may be incomplete ):

All UPA cards should work well, Elite3D needs a firmware image ( can
be taken from any Solaris/SPARC CD ) and a tool to upload it for X
support ( see pkgsrc/x11/afbinit )

Most SBus cards sold with sparc64 hardware should work, use hw
acceleration both in X and as console ( cg6 works, Fujitsu AG-10e
should work but has never been tested on sparc64 since I don't have a
sparc64 box it would fit in - it's double wide but my U1 has its SBus
slots too far apart ) - no idea about other 3rd party cards but
there's a chance they work with genfb at sbus ( never tested, might
not even compile but that should be trivial to fix if necessary )

With PCI graphics cards it's more complicated. Cards based on ATI
Mach64 chips should work as long as they use a Rage II or Rage Pro
( also used on U5/U10 and a few other mainboards ). Cards based on
Rage XL chips are untested but should work, I have a Rage XL but with
PC firmware so it's not very useful here.
Radeon based cards should work with radeonfb and X but that's
untested. Same for the Rage 128 used in some Tadpole laptops.
We don't have any console support for Permedia2 and Wildcat-based cards.
All PCI cards that work as firmware console should work with genfb as
console and wsfb in X. There is a driver for Permedia cards in
XFree86 but that's untested on sparc64 and might not even compile.

So, my wishlist in no particular order would be:
- - a Rage XL with Sun or Apple firmware ( sold as Sun PGX64 I think,
also onboard in Blade 1x0 workstations )
- - a Permedia2 with Sun firmware ( sold as Sun PGX32 or Raptor )
- - a Radeon with Sun firmware ( sold as Sun XVR100 )
...  those should all be fairly easy to support - documentation is
available at least as XFree86/Xorg driver source code, radeonfb is
already in base but untested on sparc64, the Rage XL should work with
machfb but again, it's untested.

Less realistic would be any of the newer XVRs, mostly based on 3Dlabs
Wildcat chips for which no documentation is available as far as I
know so supporting them is difficult, besides that they're still
rather pricey. If you have one please give genfb a shot and report
success or failure.
Same with those Tadpole laptops ( some newer sparc64-based SPARCbooks
have a Rage 128 ) - r128fb should work with minor modifications, X
should work out of the box with either genfb or r128fb.

have fun
Michael