Subject: Re: Ultra 10, Ultra 5 workstation questions.
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/20/2007 09:22:06
Any Ball you wrote:

>Can Ultra 10 and Ultra 5 workstations take ATA drives that
>are larger than 120 Gbytes capacity?

Yes.  Mine is using a 160G disk right now...

wd1 at atabus0 drive 1: <Maxtor 6Y160P0>
wd1: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd1: 152 GB, 317632 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 320173056
sectors
wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)

> How slow is the ATA interface on these machines?

I'm not sure there is a word to adequately describe its slowness.  VERY slow.

(I'll move my disks to a promise PCI/IDE controller "real soon" and have
the system boot from a CF card "just to load the kernel")

gert
--
gert@greenie.muc.de   fax: +49-89-35655025   http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

"...cops and reporters are much alike. Both are absolutely dedicated to
doing the job at hand, regardless of obstacles. And both, deep down, really
believe the rules don't apply to them".
		-- Jim Barlow, Houston Chronicle