Subject: Re: crash dump failing on machine with 4GB
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/30/2007 10:30:32
On Sep 30, 2007, at 05:39, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>>   So, I guess the question here is, since you're seeing this on an
>> ahc,
>> on an i386, is this a [eo]siop bug, or a scsipi bug?  Your solution
>> assumes
>
> sddump() uses a static scsipi xfer; it's true that the callout isn't
> initialized here. But see below
>
>> ....  I'll leave that  decision to
>> people who know the scsi subsystem better than I.  But, something I
>> wanted to mention.
>
> I don't think it's a good thing for the HBA drivers to use the
> callout when
> using polled mode. Interrupts are blocked at this point, and they
> should deal
> with the timeout in the poll loop. Otherwise, if the device is not
> responsive,
> the driver will hang on the command forever.

   Ahh, okay.  So, Greg's solution, while it will often work, has
that risk, so
should likely not be used longer term.  Then, I guess the answer is as
you suggested for [e]siop (should osiop have it too?  oosiop?) is the
recommendation, to not call callout_stop() from the device driver when
(XS_CTL_POLL & xs_control).

   Thanks.  Greg?  Make sense?  :-)

                         - Chris