Subject: "detected global register use not covered by .register pseudo-op"
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/24/2007 01:29:58
I'm trying to build some code on 3.1 sparc64, and I'm getting assembler
errors saying "detected global register use not covered by .register
pseudo-op".

Now, the code does include some assaembly.  I'm prepared to hack on it.
But I can't usefully do this until I know what the complaint is
complaining about.  I tried google, but it just showed me a bunch of
people describing getting the same complaint out of sparc64 for various
OSes and pieces of software, with no explanations of what it meant or
how to deal with it.  "man as" was even less help; it doesn't mention
the .register pseudo-op at all.  I infer that one has to use .register
in some way to "cover" uses of global registers, but that's not much
help - it's not even clear what "global registers" means (%g0-%g7?
registers not saved by functions? something else?).

Any pointers or other hints?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign