Subject: Re: Booting a LiveCD
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Chris Ross <cross@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/20/2007 11:52:24
On Sep 20, 2007, at 07:27, Martin Husemann wrote:
> As you might have noticed, I played around with ofwboot (after
> running into
> a machine where it did not work). While there I tested the CD9660
> support,
> and it seems to work.

   I have an ofwquestion that I've been meaning to ask.  I notice
that the BOOTP
support in net_open doesn't know enough to learn from the parameters it
gets back from a DHCP server.  I did some testing with this a while
ago, and
I can confirm that net_open does get (and comprehend) the "filename"
parameter
listed in my dhcpd.conf.  A version of ofwboot with some extra debugging
printf()s in it shows:

 >> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
 >> (cross@host.distal.com, Sat Jun  9 02:28:56 EDT 2007)
net_open: client addr: 206.138.151.49
net_open: subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
net_open: net gateway: 206.138.151.1
net_open: server addr: 206.138.151.36
net_open: server path: /export/sparc64/nfsroot
net_open: file name: netbsd.mp
Using BOOTP protocol: ip address: 206.138.151.49, netmask:
255.255.255.0, gatewa
y: 206.138.151.1
root addr=206.138.151.36 path=/export/sparc64/nfsroot
=0x8570a8

   It's been a few months since I looked at this, clearly, I'm just
wondering if anyone
would be interested in making this work?  It seems to be to be a good
thing.  I
am glad that that specification will be overridden by the boot
options, but being
ignored and instead using the hard-coded array of kernelnames in
ofwboot seems
suboptimal...

   Thanks.  Love to hear thoughts on this...

                                - Chris