Subject: Re: Using RAIDframe as the boot disk(s)
To: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/19/2007 11:44:49
On Sep 19, 2007, at 07:14, Julian Coleman wrote:
> Note that there is still a buglet in the boot loader when booting RAID
> partitions on disks that previously had plain FFS on them.  If that's
> the case with your disks, you'll want to zero the start of the disks
> before configuring the RAID mirror (e.g. `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/?d?c
> bs=64k count=2`) otherwise you'll not be able to boot from the disks.

   Excellent.  Thank you very much for that note.  As it happens,
these disks are completely clear, new, etc, so it shouldn't be a
problem, but it's a good thing to keep in mind in the future.

   I'm also wondering if there's a good description of the magic that
needs to be performed on each disk individually so that the openboot
prom will be able to boot from either of them.  Anything more
complicated required than the "make sure both disks labels are the
same, and run installboot for each" step(s) described in:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-rf.html

   Thanks.

                 - Chris