Subject: RE: sparc64 hardware
To: DataZap <az@datazap.net>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/03/2007 21:40:29
> This is very interesting. I did not know that I could use 3 party ide=

> cards. In my sparc station 20, I could not make a larger SCA drive fi=
> into the slot where the SCA drives go, so I used an SCA to SCSI adapt=
or
> and put it into the cdrom slot.
>
> It sounds to me like what you described is reliable. I would really l=
ike
> to have a 1U (or at the most 2U) system because it has to be colocate=
d and
> it would save me alot of money. Would any of the systems that support=
 IDE
> be this size?

This is a bit difficult, since the 1U or 2U systems tend to be designed=

in such a way that you cannot just put in IDE disks and an extra IDE
card and have room for the additional cables.

The only "real" 1U IDE Sun is the V100, and that box will only support
<128 GB.  There is an OEM board called AXi but that has the same limit.=

You could get a 4U system like a 220R or 420R but that kind of defeats
the purpose.  In the end I guess it is cheaper to get a low-end X2100M2=

and two big SATA-II disks.

Regards -- Volker
--=20
-
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solari=
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab=
/
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab@bb-c.d=
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgr=F6=DF=
e: 45
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt