Subject: Re: sparc64 hardware
To: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
From: DataZap <az@datazap.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/03/2007 12:15:41
Hi,

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 11:10:56 -0700 (PDT)
> DataZap <az@datazap.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for server hardware. I would need to put in larger hard
> > drives. Could someone tell me if there is sparc hardware that is capable
> > of having 2-250 gig (perferably 500 gig) hard drives?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Al
>
> With NetBSD you can use third-party PCI add-in cards in your Sun gear;
> for example Serial ATA cards. I have 5 modern SATA drives in my sparc64
> server. The only caveat is that you still need a scsi disk to boot from.

Thank you for your email.

It would be incredible to have SATA drives in a sparc64. Could you tell me
what brand of controller you are using and what version of NetBSD? I think
that if I am going to do a fresh install, I would probably put NetBSD 4 on
it. Has anyone had any luck with 4?

There is one other thing that I should ask and that is if anyone is using
a seagate scsi as a boot drive?

Thanks,
Al