Subject: Re: Problems netbooting a sparc64
To: Chris Ross <cross@distal.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/11/2007 17:45:25
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:28:18AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>   Now, would booting a GENERIC.MP kernel give me anything of
> value?  ;-)  Is there anything useful I could provide to that effort
> without spending days learning about the hard-core internals of UPA
> and UltraSparc II processors?

Well, if you are able to use ddb, you can try ;-)

It should boot single user with no problems (with all cpus active), but then
will die "soon". There are varying failure modes - last time I saw curlwp
being NULL (which is impossible at this state in -current), and the kernel
crashed dereferencing that NULL pointer.

Ddb mostly works ok, but the machine (at least for me) sometimes hangs
if you go to the prom with the wrong cpu active.

Collecting various failure modes could be interesting.

Martin